Experience Backpacks provide all the materials needed for a local, Mill Valley adventure. These self-guided walks take between one and two hours to complete and are intended as easy strolls for patrons of all ages. The backpacks provide materials for two people, but can be shared by more.
- Birding at Bothin Marsh: Everything you need for a 1 to 2 hour experience birding at Bothin Marsh, including a custom-made, full-color guide to the birds that can be found at the marsh in May and June.
- Rock Springs Wildflower Walk: All the materials necessary for a springtime wildflower walk in the Rock Springs area of Mt. Tamalpais, including a custom-made, full-color wildflower guide and instructions for four suggested hikes. This backpack is suggested for use between late March and early May.
- Family Scavenger Hunt: Turn your hike into a game with this kid-friendly Nature Scavenger Hunt! Plan your hike with the included Marin County trail guide, use the pocket naturalist guide to identify local wildlife, and record your wildlife sightings on the scavenger hunt checklist. Great on its own or in combination with our other Experience Backpacks.
All backpacks include: a compass, first aid kit, nature observation journal, and fragrance-free sunscreen.
Ensure a Great Experience
Experience Backpacks offer Mill Valley residents free access to a variety of local experiences.
A few notes to make sure you have a great experience:
- You can check out an experience backpack if you have a valid MARINet library card (this means your fines are under $100 and your card is not expired).
- Backpacks must be checked out by patrons over 16, but can be enjoyed by people of any age.
- Backpacks are loaned for one week with no renewals.
- The backpacks provide materials for 2 people, but can be shared by more.
- Please check the library's hours to make sure we'll be open when you plan to pick up your backpack.
- Backpacks may be picked up on a first-come, first-served basis. You may call ahead at 415-389-4292 to see if a backpack is available for pick up.
- Use Experience Backpacks responsibly to avoid fines or suspension of privileges.
If you need assistance, please call the library at 415-389-4292.