How much of my sewer lateral am I responsible to maintain?

If you live in the Mill Valley city limits the City's Municipal Code states that the owner of a sewer lateral is responsible for maintaining their sewer lateral all the way to the City main, including the portion within the right-of-way. This includes the fitting that branches the lateral off the main.

However, if you live in any of the unincorporated areas of Mill Valley or Tiburon, homeowner responsibility may differ. Please contact your sanitary district. To find your sanitary district, please go to our SASM Agency Boundaries page.

Show All Answers

1. How do I know which sanitary district my property is in?
2. I have a septic tank. Who do I call?
3. How do I make a Public Records request?
4. How much of my sewer lateral am I responsible to maintain?
5. What is the best way to dispose of excess groundwater that may accumulate during construction on my property?
6. There is a sewer backup in my house. What should I do?
7. There is sewage bubbling out of the ground or street. What should I do?
8. I have been reading about the sewage treatment plant being overwhelmed during heavy rainstorms. I thought sewers were separate from storm drains. How can this happen and is there anything I can do?
9. How do I dispose of fats, oil and grease (FOG)?